![]() |
| In 1982, when I was 10 years old, me and my brother got BB guns for Christmas, and apparently not much instruction on gun safety or etiquette. |
| My Sister, Elayna, and Mom. Mom is making a face here because she admitted to feeling really out place at the range. |
my son Isaac earned his rifle shooting merit badge and really enjoyed it. He asked if we could get a 22 rifle for the family so he could shoot for fun rather than only do it at scout camp. I didn't own a gun at all at that time. I asked my Mom about the 22 rifle that I knew my Dad owned when she revealed he had 4 other firearms in addition to that one. It was decided that each of my brothers and me would inherit one of my Dad's guns. I chose the 22 rifle to satisfy Isaac's interest, and my brother's too selected their firearm of inheritance.
Something seemed to change within me once I had that rifle. A sense of responsibility. I now had to get a safe. I had to learn how to properly maintain the rifle, safely operate it, and teach my children those principles. I have a responsibility to impress upon them to appreciate the rifle for what it is. A tool, something to be respected, and if the rules of safety were not followed, something very dangerous. The curiosity factor had to be eliminated. They now are fully familiar with them and know and honor the rules of safe gun use.
I was not going to be irresponsible with its storage at home so I bought a very modest rifle safe.
| Helping support my Mom, reassuring her that pulling the trigger on the 38 special wasn't going to rip her arms from their sockets. |
She had never shot it before and as I was explaining the basic safe gun handling rules as she was preparing to shoot, she was so overwhelemd and nervous she started to cry. She had never experienced this before and she was fearful to the point of tears. I had to physically encourage her and provide support as she felt like she was shooting a bazooka or something. Given the size of the gun and cartridge, firing it
To be continued....

No comments:
Post a Comment