Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Governor Cox and the Utah State Legislators got something right!

 I didn't vote for Governor Cox.  I don't have much confidence in our national two-party system. But this past week Governor Cox and Utah lawmakers Walt Brooks and David Hinkins, got something right.  Utah HB 60 passed.

For those who opposed this bill, may I remind you that the funding of suicide prevention programs is not mentioned in the constitution, whereas the 2nd amendment "Shall not be infringed" is. 

Thank you, Governor Cox, and Utah State legislators for remembering that the role of government is not to restrict our rights of self-defence despite the fact that roughly 50% of suicides are through firearms. (https://www.sprc.org/scope/means-suicide). 

Whether a person has a CCW or not will not change the state of a suicidal person's mind. 

Make a difference in someone's life for good today.  Be more caring, more patient, and helpful. Doing that every day will make a bigger difference than requiring CCW permits.

With all of that said, the CCW Class is a tip of the iceberg chance for folks to learn about the laws surrounding appropriate gun use.  For me, the CCW Class I took did not include any on-range training but was just a short classroom setting talking about when you can lawfully and morally use a firearm in self-defense.  

Firearms owners should be extremely familiar with their function and diligently train those in their household about gun safety.  Just because you have a CCW doesn't make you proficient and competent.  There is an opportunity for everyone to supplement their "arsenal" with professional in-range firearms and safety training which is more important than the caliber of the firearm itself.

I felt like my Hunter's Safety class that I took was a better course for firearm safety and competency than the CCW Course.  I have no problem with the requirement to take the Hunter's Safety course to hunt.  Because the 2nd amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting.  It is appropriate in my opinion for the government to require a hunter's safety course in order to get a hunting license.  That is totally different from requiring a permit to conceal a handgun for self-defence.  

Do I feel that every person who carries a gun should receive training?  DEFINITELY!  But it is not the role of the government to enforce that.  And despite this law removing the CCW permit requirement within Utah to carry concealed, I will continue to renew my permit so that I may be permitted to conceal in other states which respect the Utah permit as well as their own. In that case, it's a voluntary program. And I have no problem with that money continuing to go to suicide prevention programs.  But to require it despite the 2nd amendment?  That's wrong.

This Utah Senator, Jacob Anderegg, made the very same points I just pointed out above.  This guy has it totally right!

No comments:

Post a Comment