Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The insane cost of ammo doesn't mean you can't train. Review of the Mantis-X



Before covid-19 hit in early 2020, the cost of 9mm hit a low point.  When I first got into shooting in 2016 the cost for 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass was a little over $220 per 1000 rounds.  Last time I bought ammo in November 2019, I got 1000 rounds of this ammo for $209.62 (after shipping).  I know because Cathi made me track every stinking penny on anything firearm related and put it in a spreadsheet so I could see how much money I was "wasting".

The cost now (Feb 2021), for the same ammo has increased over 400% compared to a little more than just one year ago (Nov 2019).  $795 compared to around $180 before tax and shipping.  

One of the best investments I've made that gave such a return so quickly.  Unfortunately this means I am not taking trips to the range to shoot.  With today's prices, a double tap of 9mm would cost about the same as a Sausage McMuffin going down range.  Putting it in that context makes me want to cry.


So the way I train today, is dry fire drills with the Mantis X training system.  I love it.  I've tried a few different types of dry fire training systems.  

I bought the iTargetPro in Summer of 2017 for just under $100, and after about a few weeks the laser wasn't consistently going off with each trigger press.  The rubber portion of the laser cartridge where the primer would be, was wearing out, and only turning on the laser when the firing pin hit it just right.  That sucks.  If I train, I don't want to have to fiddle with anything.  It should fire the laser every time.  

In August 2018 I bought the Mantis X system from Amazon for $159.  That system is awesome because I just attach the very small bluetooth Mantis X system to the underside of any gun that has a slot under the barrel for a laser or something like this.  There is an app that you download to your phone and it connects to the Mantis system that is mounted to your gun.  With every press of the trigger it announces a number of how accurate you are.  It considers the amount of movement during the actual trigger pull, then captures the spot at which the firing pin clicks, and then the follow up movement afterwards for tracking any kind of flinching.  To better understand that whole thing, here is a great video that goes over the mantis x and how it works.


I use the Mantis X with my CZ Shadow 2 handgun.  The rail on the bottom of my Hellcat isn't deep enough to allow it to attach securely.  That's fine.  I don't want to have to take it on/off my CC gun every time anyway.  

Another reason I like it on my CZ is has a double-action trigger pull, so I don't have to rack the slide after every trigger pull which I would be required to do with the Hellcat, or any other striker-fired handgun.  

But with this training system, the double action of the CZ Shadow comes in handy as I can keep my grip right where it should be and I can continue shot after shot, although the trigger travel and weight of pull is quite significant to normal shooting practice.  Considering that every trigger pull is basically free, I'll take it!


 Here is a quick demo of the basic app features.


I'm very happy with the Mantis X training system as it has lots of features and tracks my history so I can evaluate my progress.  I love that it announces verbally with every shot how I'm doing with the grading number.

The app includes many different training programs, which if you pass the 10 step program for each, you will be prompted for your address and Mantis sends you a Velcro-backed patch to recognize your achievement!  Free of charge!  That's so awesome.  This past month I've worked at practice and got all 4 patches currently available:

Each achievement is done in this order, and you can't skip any of the levels:
  1. Basic Marksmanship
  2. Advanced Marksmanship
  3. Elite Marksmanship
  4. Basic Combat 

If you end up getting a Mantis X system, go to Groups, and add me.  My username is: gords

This system will make it easy for you to have fun, and improve!

Update: 3/8/21 - I've passed all the pistol courses listed above.  Now going to try the Mantis out with my CZ Scorpion.

Unfortunately, there aren't any courses with rifle option. Just USMC Qualification.  So I'll probably just go back to training with the Shadow 2 until there are some decent drills and achievements made specifically for rifle.










No comments:

Post a Comment